Sunday 17 January 2010

Making Learning Sticky

I came across this whilst browsing online (via Twitter) and courtesy of @fullonlearning (Full on Learning Blog). Click the image above to visit the document on Issuu so you can zoom in and read the text. The authors of the SUCCESS model are marketing experts who advise businesses how to sell stuff but I wonder if we, as teachers and learners, aren't also caught up the process of communicating ideas to which we want others to pay attention.

Anyway, I really like the list of qualities (sort of) here: Simple, Unexpected, Concrete, Credible, Emotional and Stories. Most of the memorable learning experiences I have had in my life have incorporated nearly all of these features. I certainly intend to keep these in mind the next time I'm planning a lesson (oh, I should be doing that now instead of writing this post!) On reflection, I realise that this post constitutes a lesson, of sorts, and that I have probably failed to include several of these features in what I've written here.

Back to the drawing board.

No comments: