Wednesday 8 April 2009

Easter Quiz

Well done to Billy and Tom (and Amber) for correctly guessing that the image I posted for the Easter Quiz was generated by sound. Thanks also to Zek Hoeben for his post about this amazing bit of online wizardry that enables you to draw with sound. The image I posted was actually a drawing created from a song by The Smiths called Rubber Ring (hence the clue). I wonder if we could leave this application running in a classroom for a day (or another part of the school) to make a visual drawing of the sound of that space?

I'd better go and sort out that special prize now...

4 comments:

Amber Rowe said...

Does this program just follow volume of the sound? I tried to test it out with different sounds and I think it maybe (even though different frequencies record at different volumes) - probably wrong but if it is volume then I don't think it would really show much about Tallis. Otherwise I think it's great idea.

Anonymous said...

If I have understood Ambers post are you saying that it is not good if its just volume? I would say that volume is more inportant for Tallis because, if we left this running in a classroom say over a 8 hour perioud 0800-1600 then it would show people comming in and out of the class room the noise that students would generate during the lesson!!! I think it would look very very interesting!

Amber Rowe said...

That's not exactly what I meant, I was asking if it was volume only out of curiousity. But I should have said I don't think that volume should be the only thing generating the pattern throughout Tallis because there's a lot more that could be exposed throughout the day to give a better insight to Tallis.

It's a good idea. Do you know what determines the pattern of the shape?

Jon said...

This is what it says on the ZeFrank site: low volume curves counterclockwise, medium volume is straight, high volume curves clockwise. There are some great examples of fairly naturalistic drawings being made with the application. Pretty hard to control though. I've seen other applications that produce visuals related to sound (of particular benefit to deaf students I think).