Sunday 11 October 2009

Experimenting with new technologies

I know that this debate is becoming a bit of a staple in any given newspaper, and on any given Sunday, but I think we do still need to work towards engaging with new technologies in a way that doesn't instantly brand them as disruptive and threatening to learning. I invited those students with email enabled phones to email the class blog in my Tallis Lab lesson and the content of the posts were really thoughtful and intelligent. It just seems to me that there is so much scope for some really intuitive interaction and collaboration between students and other students, and between students and staff - why not capitalise on the opportunities. You can click on the link and read the full article.

My favourite part was where the author said that there have to be opportunities for misuse in order for misuse to be challenged. He went on to make the point:

"Whatever young people bring into school there is a chance that it is misused in some way. In my day, we had ruler fights. We mustn't be Luddite about the technology that young people take for granted,"

What are your thoughts?

Soren

No comments: