Saturday 17 January 2009

Geotagging

For a little while now, via the magic of Flickr, I have been in contact with Zek Hoeben, a colleague who works at Fortismere School in North London. On Friday, we made arrangements to meet at the BETT show, following an excellent presentation by Stephen Heppell (more about this later). It was great to finally meet Zek and we had a productive chat about all things creative and technological. His school uses the Fonter learning platform and, as an associate AST with responsibility for art, photography and ICT, he is busy getting to grips with it, both in his own lessons and with his own students and promoting its use across the whole school. It may be the case that we are given a new learning platform as part of our move to the new school and this may turn out to be Fronter, so I was keen to get a behind-the-scenes view of the platform in action. Zek has kindly given me access and, this morning, I spent an hour or so browsing through the photography pages. One of the projects that caught my eye was a photo geotagging project which enables students to take photos near to the school and post them to Google Maps which, in turn, can then be viewed in Google Earth. It occurred to me that this would make an excellent inter-disciplinary project at KS3 in terms of young people's awareness of the local area and relationship to a variety of spaces and places. In terms of Fronter's capabilities, the jury is still out. I'll keep you posted after I've done a bit more research.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Geotaging is really interesting. I have noticed that this is somthing that can be done on Flick. Also that more and more phones are able to automatically geotag using GPS so that when I image is taken the geotag is added to the image META data and can be linked in with Google eath etc... I wonder how Tallis could use geotagging.....

Anonymous said...

http://www.flickr.com/photos/ukv1290/map?&fLat=51.4838&fLon=-0.0683&zl=7&order_by=recent

Just found this link which shows my map that I have attemted to keep updated on Flickr.....